Château du Tertre
Château du Tertre found the inspiration for its name from its location, as it is situated on a tertre, which means hillock or rising ground in French. The estate is located on one of the highest and most beautiful gravelly rises in the Margaux appellation. Its history dates back to 1143, which makes Château du Tertre one of the oldest properties on the Left Bank of Bordeaux.
The château itself was built in 1724 by Pierre Mitchell, an important Irish negociant who had fallen in love with the Bordeaux region and its wines. Mitchell owned la “Verrerie Royale de Bordeaux”, an important glass bottles factory. He is the creator of the shape of the Bordeaux bottle and also of the Jeroboam.
Other famous families followed in his footsteps: the de Brezets and Vallandés, as well as the Koenigswarters, rich bankers close to Emperor Napoleon III. The quality of the wine was such that it was included among the Great Growths of Margaux in the 1855 Classification.
Eric Albada Jelgersma acquired the estate in 1997. Thanks to major investments and careful management, Château du Tertre now expresses its intrinsically elegant personality year after year.
Also on Wine Paths
Accommodation at Château du Tertre