Châteauneuf du Pape is both a historic town in the south of France and the largest appellation in the Southern Rhône. Covering over 3,200 hectares of vines, it stretches from the eastern bank of the Rhône in the north, down to Sorgues, near Avignon, in the south. Winemaking in the region was helped largely by Pope Clement V who moved the papacy to Avignon in 1308. The subsequent "Avignon" popes did much to improve viticultural techniques in the area.
When you think of Châteauneuf du Pape, think of wines reminiscent of the heat, opulence and spice of the south. Châteauneuf du Pape is unrivaled in its production of red wines which make up 90% of the region’s total, with white wines making up the other 10%. The rich, complex red wines are generally a blend of the three main grape varieties: Grenache noir, Syrah and Mourvèdre, though the appellation has several more permitted varieties. Delicious, tangy, highly aromatic white wines are also produced here using, among other varieties, Grenache blanc, Clairette and Roussanne. Though less well-known than their red counterparts, they are definitely worth a taste!
An expert guide will accompany you to share wine tasting techniques and the history of local wines, as well as to answer all of your wine-related questions on your wine tour of the celebrated region of Châteauneuf du Pape.
Minimum 2 people
Full day tour – 8h
Transportation in a luxury 7-seater car
Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel in Aix en Provence
Contact us for price inquiries and bookings for the best wine tours in Châteauneuf du Pape.
An expert guide will accompany you to share wine-tasting techniques and the history of local wines, as well as to answer all of your wine-related questions on your wine tour of the celebrated region of Châteauneuf du Pape.
Get all our exclusive travel inspiration and tour packages straight to your inbox!