The winery was re-established in 1880 by Franz Haas the IV, after the three previous generations were facing inheritance issues. From generation to generation it was passed on to the firstborn son, always named Franz.
Today the winery works grapes coming from 55 ha of vineyards, mostly owned, partially-rented and provided by contracted farmers.
In 2000, Franz Haas rented several hectares on levels up to 900masl and planted vines of Pinot Nero, Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Bianco, Sauvignon and Müller-Thurgau. After more than fifteen years, this decision proved to be pioneering: these vineyards bring excellent results and supply grapes for longlasting, aromatic, fresh wines with a pronounced acidity, thanks to thermal excursion and four additional hours of daily sunlight.
Special attention has always been given to the sustainable and organic handling of the vineyards. They don’t always look like impeccable gardens, often with high grass between the rows, but this way we can carry on with a natural process: pollination, reproduction through flowers and insects. Aditionally, this allows our children to still see flowering fields.
Pinot Nero (Pinot Noir) is the big challenge for every wine-grower. Franz Haas' heart beats particularly hard for that special variety: it is his biggest passion. Therefore, it doesn't come as a surprise that the selection called "Schweizer" is only released if it reaches his high quality expectations.
Franz Haas Wine Labels
Another distinctive feature of the winery are the bottles' labels. Vivid in colours and expression, they are the artwork of the famous Italian painter and architect Riccardo Schweizer, who has been inspired by Picasso, Chagall, Cocteau, Paul Éluard and Le Corbusier. The labels are a present by Maria Luisa Manna to Franz Haas as a good luck charm for great wines. The first one was for the Pinot Nero Schweizer 1987, presented on the market in 1990.
Get all our exclusive travel inspiration and tour packages straight to your inbox!